free hit counter
Easily the most predictable retraction evah - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Science and Technology Developments that shape how we live our lives

Old February 8th, 2017, 02:20 AM
€COM#1

Likes Given: 766
Liked 1,828 in 1,622 Posts
moomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant future
Default Easily the most predictable retraction evah

Science says liberals, not conservatives, are psychotic | New York Post

Quote:
Turns out liberals are the real authoritarians.

A political-science journal that published an oft-cited study claiming conservatives were more likely to show traits associated with “psychoticism” now says it got it wrong. Very wrong.

The American Journal of Political Science published a correction this year saying that the 2012 paper has “an error” — and that liberal political beliefs, not conservative ones, are actually linked to psychoticism.

“The interpretation of the coding of the political attitude items in the descriptive and preliminary analyses portion of the manuscript was exactly reversed,” the journal said in the startling correction.

“The descriptive analyses report that those higher in Eysenck’s psychoticism are more conservative, but they are actually more liberal; and where the original manuscript reports those higher in neuroticism and social desirability are more liberal, they are, in fact, more conservative.”

Brad Verhulst, a Virginia Commonwealth University researcher and a co-author of the paper, said he was not sure who was to blame.

“I don’t know where it happened. All I know is it happened,” he told Retraction Watch, a blog that tracks corrections in academic papers. “It’s our fault for not figuring it out before.”
Heh. Any bets on how much this will be mentioned in the same DNC/MSM that made such a big splash of the original "study" back then?
Old February 8th, 2017, 02:19 PM
Registered Beer User

Likes Given: 7,697
Liked 2,907 in 2,357 Posts
Midnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight_Marauder has a brilliant future

Old February 8th, 2017, 03:21 PM
€COM#1

moomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant future

And the funniest thing?

"The erroneous report has been cited 45 times, according to Thomson Reuters Web of Science."
Old February 8th, 2017, 05:35 PM
They call me MR. Kitty

Likes Given: 154
Liked 2,313 in 1,940 Posts
walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future

Innocent mistake or were darker forces in play.

Quote:
“I think it’s unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair,” Heloïse said.
Gentlemen, he said I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards.
Old February 9th, 2017, 03:05 PM
€COM#1

As someone who has his name on a number of peer-review articles, I can't see how this sort of error in coding can make it through by mistake. There are many errors possible in papers, some subtle, some just stupid, but nobody noticing that they had coded the operationalization the other way around? That's just not plausible. This actually goes double if they're all staunch liberals, because the partial data aggregates during the collection phase must have been shouting to high heaven in the face of their expected biases.
Old February 10th, 2017, 01:04 PM
They call me MR. Kitty

Likes Given: 154
Liked 2,313 in 1,940 Posts
walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future

I can give you the easiest and most obvious reason the mistake got through. It was the result that was expected so nobody thought to double check or make sure of the data. Why bother?

Quote:
“I think it’s unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair,” Heloïse said.
Gentlemen, he said I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards.
Old February 10th, 2017, 06:32 PM
€COM#1

That's not how data is aggregated. You lovingly stroke every bit of data as you acquire it. You look at it and try to fill it in various ways into a theoretical framework as it emerges. You joyfully grab every new bit coming in and match it against your previous results, burning one theory for another as the data indicates. You discuss interpretations and future possibilities with your co-writers, an iterative process that gets rehashed every time new data becomes available.

If they missed everything in this process this bad, then this new data means nothing, because even by social "sciences" standards they've been too lazy and stupid to live.