free hit counter
Actually umm.... No. Stephen Fry confronts "God." - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Sunday Gota Meetin' Religion and the discussion of right and wrong

Old January 31st, 2015, 03:57 PM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Likes Given: 7,681
Liked 2,904 in 2,354 Posts
Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future
Default Actually umm.... No. Stephen Fry confronts "God."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-10015360.html

Quote:
Staunch atheist Stephen Fry left a television host stunned when he explained what he would say if he was “confronted by God”.

“Suppose it’s all true, and you walk up to the pearly gates, and are confronted by God,” asked TV host Gay Bryne. “What will Stephen Fry say to him, her, or it?”

The 57-year-old replied: “I’d say, 'bone cancer in children? What’s that about?'

“How dare you? How dare you create a world to which there is such misery that is not our fault. It’s not right, it’s utterly, utterly evil.

“Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid God who creates a world that is so full of injustice and pain. That’s what I would say. ”

Byrne’s second question, “And you think you are going to get in, like that?” only served to fuel his fervour.

"But I wouldn't want to," Fry insisted. “I wouldn't want to get in on his terms. They are wrong.

"Now, if I died and it was Pluto, Hades, and if it was the 12 Greek gods then I would have more truck with it, because the Greeks didn’t pretend to not be human in their appetites, in their capriciousness, and in their unreasonableness… they didn’t present themselves as being all-seeing, all-wise, all-kind, all-beneficent, because the god that created this universe, if it was created by god, is quite clearly a maniac… utter maniac, totally selfish.

“We have to spend our life on our knees thanking him? What kind of god would do that?

"So, atheism isn’t not just about not believing there’s a God, but on the assumption there is one, what kind of God is he?”

Visibly staggered by Fry’s answer, Byrne said: “That sure is the longest answer to that question I ever got in this entire series.”
Video clip:

Old February 1st, 2015, 04:39 AM
€COM#1

Likes Given: 760
Liked 1,819 in 1,613 Posts
moomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant future

If Fry wanted to cause a real panic, he should have used Allah instead.
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:43 PM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomin View Post
But we see here a example of what I've always said - the most vociferous, militant "atheists" aren't atheists at all, they're simply anti-Christian anti-Jew bigots who label themselves "atheist" as a cover for their bigotry. And of course they're all also carefully PC, this is why you never see any of them going after "Allah" in any way.

Were he a actual Atheist, he would have had a actual answer to the question instead of a idiotic, emotional rant about why the god he claims to not believe in would allow children to suffer. And such.

So we see here he is like all militant atheists - he's as much or more of a true believer than even the most devout of the faithful. He believes the deity exists as a all powerful omnipotent being, and has given alot of thought to how angry he is at this being and why.

And like all true believers, he has the vanity to believe that this all powerful being created everything, and therefore its most "important" creation - mankind - should be looked after and cared about. He truly believes that tiny, insignificant humankind would somehow be all important to such a being.

Humankind is only important to itself.

A true Atheist who isn't a bigot and who isn't hateful and vociferous, and who truly doesn't believe the all powerful deity exists as anything other than a fictional character created by man, for man and in man's own image, would have answered the idiotic query this way:

Q: “Suppose it’s all true, and you walk up to the pearly gates, and are confronted by God - what would you say to him/her/it?"

A: It wouldn't happen, unless of course you believe I may someday be confronted by Superman, Batman, or the Tooth Fairy - or any other fictional character we've created.

And then go on to explain how mankind in his vanity and self importance, created the deities, demons, angels, prophets and all other such religious cast and characters in his own image just like he later created Superman, Batman, the Tooth Fairy and all other such fictions.

Fry is a Poster Boy example of the fake Atheist.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 04:25 AM
€COM#1

moomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant future

Man has a difficulty with scale. That's almost universal among those with no ST(E)M background. He's also a public critter who understands which side his bread is buttered. Given those two, I am not comfortable coming to your conclusion when simply careerist liberal goon is just as possible.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 02:46 PM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Man has a difficulty with scale. That's almost universal among those with no ST(E)M background. He's also a public critter who understands which side his bread is buttered. Given those two, I am not comfortable coming to your conclusion when simply careerist liberal goon is just as possible.
Well, the typical careerist liberal goon also typically claims to be Atheist. But, none of them really are. You can see it in what they say and how they behave. This is a good example of it.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 02:21 AM
Trailer Park Hero
9 Ball Connect Champion 3D Frogger Champion Baseball Champion FogHorn Thanks Champion Ace Driver Champion 2D Knock-Out Champion UNO 3 Champion

Likes Given: 397
Liked 972 in 790 Posts
trlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Should he have given the entire rant in Arabic, or just translated the word "God"?

I agree it shows his hypocrisy, but it's not surprising. I don't believe in Santa, but I don't try to get him kicked out of malls. If confronted by Santa Claus I wouldn't be angry and ask why he doesn't bring me gifts. I would assume it was a prank, and probably tell him "Yeah, and I'm the virgin Mary". It would take more than a claim by a stranger to convince me of his existence. If confronted by God, I might try to be marginally more reverent in my dismissal. Ya know, just in case.

You know what date is on this coin? 1958. It's been traveling 22 years to get here. And now it's here. And it's either heads or tails, and you have to say. Call it.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 05:22 AM
€COM#1

As far as I'm concerned, all atheists are fakes. Insomuch that they profess not to be religious when they take so much on faith.

*basks in his agnosticism*

That said... some fakes are just a tad more obvious than others. This here Steve is a liberal first and foremost and the reason he turned to militant atheist proselyting is that his comparative advantages there are better than in say, feminism och vibrancy-über-alles theory.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 08:39 AM
Trailer Park Hero
9 Ball Connect Champion 3D Frogger Champion Baseball Champion FogHorn Thanks Champion Ace Driver Champion 2D Knock-Out Champion UNO 3 Champion

Likes Given: 397
Liked 972 in 790 Posts
trlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to beholdtrlrtrash13 is a splendid one to behold

Well, I suppose that if someone thought faith and religion were one and the same you would have a good point. However, most people realize they are not. Faith is a requirement of religions but is not exclusive to them.

As per me being a liberal, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and I'm glad that your opinion of me is as uninformed as your opinion on most of the issues. Since I'm really not a liberal, I wouldn't want any special treatment.

TT

You know what date is on this coin? 1958. It's been traveling 22 years to get here. And now it's here. And it's either heads or tails, and you have to say. Call it.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 02:37 PM
€COM#1

You're Steven Fry? Good for you. Any gig that lets you earn your living pontificating to credulards is a good one.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 03:36 PM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, all atheists are fakes. Insomuch that they profess not to be religious when they take so much on faith.
"Faith" may or may not be in play, but it's got little to do with religion. Atheists don't profess to not be religious - that's Anti-theism not Atheism. They profess that Deities don't exist as they are proposed. They propose Deities and all associated implements, characters, stories, and so on, are fictions of mankind's making.

We have vast evidence of mankind's tendency to create fiction, in fact it still happens every day. To assume mankind hasn't created fiction since his ability to communicate is what would take alot of faith.