free hit counter
Actually umm.... No. Stephen Fry confronts "God." - Page 3 - Redneck Clubhouse - Of, By and For Rednecks!

Sunday Gota Meetin' Religion and the discussion of right and wrong

Old February 11th, 2015, 06:37 PM
They call me MR. Kitty

Likes Given: 153
Liked 2,302 in 1,931 Posts
walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future

A true rationalist requires proof, with such proof derived in a rational manner. However lack of said proof does not provide proof of absence. Thus any rational being has to leave the ultimate question of existence or non-existence as an open question. To accept otherwise is to use something other than a rational manner of thinking, some may call it belief or faith.

Quote:
“I think it’s unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair,” Heloïse said.
Gentlemen, he said I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards.
Old February 11th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Likes Given: 7,681
Liked 2,904 in 2,354 Posts
Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by walruskkkch View Post
A true rationalist requires proof, with such proof derived in a rational manner. However lack of said proof does not provide proof of absence. Thus any rational being has to leave the ultimate question of existence or non-existence as an open question. To accept otherwise is to use something other than a rational manner of thinking, some may call it belief or faith.
It's not a open question at all. Deities do exist.
Old February 11th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Registered Beer User
Asteroids Champion 007 Everything or Nothing Champion 9-Ball Champion Bombing By Night Champion Flash Pacman Champion Carmageddon Champion Gotham Punch Champion

Midnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant futureMidnight Marauder has a brilliant future

By the way, it seems now they're saying the "big bang" never happened, and the universe has no beginning.

No Big Bang? Quantum equation predicts universe has no beginning

Quote:
(Phys.org) —The universe may have existed forever, according to a new model that applies quantum correction terms to complement Einstein's theory of general relativity. The model may also account for dark matter and dark energy, resolving multiple problems at once.

The widely accepted age of the universe, as estimated by general relativity, is 13.8 billion years. In the beginning, everything in existence is thought to have occupied a single infinitely dense point, or singularity. Only after this point began to expand in a "Big Bang" did the universe officially begin.

Although the Big Bang singularity arises directly and unavoidably from the mathematics of general relativity, some scientists see it as problematic because the math can explain only what happened immediately after—not at or before—the singularity.

"The Big Bang singularity is the most serious problem of general relativity because the laws of physics appear to break down there," Ahmed Farag Ali at Benha University and the Zewail City of Science and Technology, both in Egypt, told Phys.org.

Ali and coauthor Saurya Das at the University of Lethbridge in Alberta, Canada, have shown in a paper published in Physics Letters B that the Big Bang singularity can be resolved by their new model in which the universe has no beginning and no end.

Old ideas revisited

The physicists emphasize that their quantum correction terms are not applied ad hoc in an attempt to specifically eliminate the Big Bang singularity. Their work is based on ideas by the theoretical physicist David Bohm, who is also known for his contributions to the philosophy of physics. Starting in the 1950s, Bohm explored replacing classical geodesics (the shortest path between two points on a curved surface) with quantum trajectories.

In their paper, Ali and Das applied these Bohmian trajectories to an equation developed in the 1950s by physicist Amal Kumar Raychaudhuri at Presidency University in Kolkata, India. Raychaudhuri was also Das's teacher when he was an undergraduate student of that institution in the '90s.
Much more at link.

Brings to mind the passage in the bible where God explains it has no beginning and no end, has always existed. Wasn't created, essentially.

One of my religious friends said he couldn't wrap his mind around this latest, and asking, 'how can the universe have no beginning?' I'm like, 'you wrap your mind around it just fine when "God" says he has no beginning, what's the problem?'
Old February 12th, 2015, 05:49 PM
€COM#1

Likes Given: 760
Liked 1,819 in 1,613 Posts
moomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Marauder View Post
It's not a open question at all. Deities do exist.
As conclusive evidence, I present you with his Divine Majesty, Barack Hussein Obama, the first of his name, Lord of Valerie Jarret's gimp closet and Goddess of Angry Studies everywhere.
Old February 13th, 2015, 12:12 PM
They call me MR. Kitty

Likes Given: 153
Liked 2,302 in 1,931 Posts
walruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant futurewalruskkkch has a brilliant future

Man, has the definition of Godhood declined or what?

Ghostbusters: "The next time a woman asks you if you are a God the answer is YES!"

Quote:
“I think it’s unfair. We voted for Hillary Clinton, but it is Trump who won. It is unfair,” Heloïse said.
Gentlemen, he said I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards.
Old February 13th, 2015, 05:24 PM
€COM#1

moomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant futuremoomin has a brilliant future

"You pray here."
Old November 29th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Person of Interest

Likes Given: 24
Liked 91 in 84 Posts
Amadon is just really niceAmadon is just really niceAmadon is just really niceAmadon is just really niceAmadon is just really niceAmadon is just really niceAmadon is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Marauder View Post
It's not "absence of evidence." It's vast evidence that we create fiction and always have. Occam's razor, baby. Implications. Heh. It all depends on the methodology right?
Evidence that man creates fiction is not evidence that God does not exist. Consider the possibility that man's fictions are simply dead ends in his evolving concept of God.

Atheism requires blind faith, because there is no evidence of absence.

Agnostics are intellectually honest, at least. And humble enough to admit that something outside of their present experience may exist.

Theists cannot present any evidence of their experience of God's presence because it is a purely personal experience, and highly conditioned by their subjective interpretation.

True religion is to know God as your Father and man as your brother. Religion is not a slavish belief in threats of punishment or magical promises of future mystical rewards.
- The Urantia Book
Old November 30th, 2016, 04:43 PM
€COM#1

Well, atheism gets all the props, because it's simply a lot cooler with the crew that counts - blue state aspiring sophisticates. Intellectually, it has no leg to stand on. Although I have to admit that as modern religions go, atheists strike me as more agreeable than progressives.
Old November 30th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Registered Beer User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadon View Post
Evidence that man creates fiction is not evidence that God does not exist.
And, nobody said it was. Makes it easy to argue a point that never existed though, right?
Quote:
Consider the possibility that man's fictions are simply dead ends in his evolving concept of God.

Atheism requires blind faith, because there is no evidence of absence.

Agnostics are intellectually honest, at least. And humble enough to admit that something outside of their present experience may exist.

Theists cannot present any evidence of their experience of God's presence because it is a purely personal experience, and highly conditioned by their subjective interpretation.
Original point still stands, un-assailed:

"That it is far, far more likely we humankind merely conjured all the deities, gods, devils, demons, angels and associated characters and events than is likely they actually exist as fabled, is lost on many and seems incapable of computing for some."

This is equivalent to you trying to argue other intelligent live in our universe is impossible despite the trillions of stars in the skies. I'm not saying it exists, I am saying 'do the math, calculate the odds.'

There's no faith involved in it.
Old November 30th, 2016, 05:45 PM
€COM#1

I have, during my life, had a shitload of coins in my pockets. Can you calculate the odds that I have a coin in my pocket right this moment based off of that?